- APencavel, J. (2020). Wage Differentials, Bargaining Protocols, and Trade Unionism in Mid-Twentieth Century American Labor Markets. ILR Review https://doi.org/10.1177/0019793920928962
- Yu, E., & Chao, C. (2021). Informal stall business, income inequality, and welfare in a dual economy. International Review Of Economics & Finance, 77, 326-340. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.iref.2021.09.007
- Fuchs, M., Rossen, A., Weyh, A., & Wydra-Somaggio, G. (2021). Where do women earn more than men? Explaining regional differences in the gender pay gap. Journal Of Regional Science, 61(5), 1065-1086. https://doi.org/10.1111/jors.12532
- Napari, S. (2009). Gender differences in early-career wage growth. Labour Economics, 16(2), 140-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2019.109631
- MacCulloch, R. (2005). Income Inequality and the Taste for Revolution. The Journal Of Law And Economics, 48(1), 93-123. https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/426881
We generally use the “wage gap” in general terms, and we do not usually delve into more specific aspects such as whether age is a determining factor in these social problems or not.
After conducting an extensive study, based on data with scientific evidence, I was able to see that age, together with its causes and consequences, has a significant relationship with wage inequality.
Where we can find this inequality is most significant at a young age, where young people are introduced to work. Specifically, speaking of numbers, one study tells us that in general, men are 85 times more likely to enter the world of work than women. But that’s not all, the measure of the wage gap, during the first 10 years, is more than 200% with respect to gender, and as the ages advance, these reduce, but without reaching 0%, standing between 9.3% and 16.4%.
So, in short, we can clearly see that the wage gap has a very considerable relationship in age, especially for young people who enter the labor market after completing their educational stage. Scientific data shows this more clearly. This problem is a structural fact that must be worked on in order to achieve equality once and for all.
- La Vanguardia. (n.d.) Secciones, Minuto, Internacional, Política, Sociedad, & Deportes (2021). Mujeres en el mundo laboral. Retrieved 18 December 2021. https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/junior-report/20180129/44376132844/mujeres-mundo-laboral.html
- 5 shocking facts about extreme global inequality and how to even it up | Oxfam International. (2021). Retrieved 20 December 2021. https://www.oxfam.org/en/5- shocking-facts-about-extreme-global-inequality-and-how-even-it
- Kantar. (n.d.) Diversidad de género en el liderazgo empresarial. (2021). Retrieved 18 December 2021. https://www.kantar.com/es/inspiracion/igualdad/diversidad-de- genero-en-la-direccion-de-las-empresas